Young Women in Peacebuilding programme in the Arab States Region
Global data demonstrates that women’s participation in conflict prevention and resolution is essential for achieving lasting, just and positive peace. Women’s engagement both broadens the perspective brought to political dialogues and enables their voices and priorities to be reflected.
In the Arab States region, UN Women partners with civil society organizations, young leaders and youth led-organizations to advance the implementation of international normative frameworks towards the achievement of gender equality and women’s rights. This includes the advancement of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW), the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action and UN Security Council Resolutions 2250 on Youth, Peace and Security and 1325 on Women, Peace and Security, and subsequent resolutions.
About the Young Women Peacebuilders Programme:
UN Women works in the Arab States region to increase women’s meaningful participation in political dialogues, peace processes and participation of women to resolve local disputes and is dedicated to transforming young women’s potential into leaders and peacebuilders.
In 2021, UN Women will establish a network of 50 young women peacebuilders from the Arab States that will participate in a capacity building programme on conflict analysis and resolution, peace processes and peace and justice from a gender perspective. The network’s role is to familiarize its members with creative tools in reconciliation, conflict transformation and prevention, as well as exchange of experiences across the region, in order to prepare the next generation of peacebuilders. The network members will work closely with the Gender Innovation Agora team and actively participate in the Generation Equality Forums to shape the women and youth peace and security agendas in the region.
The capacity building track on peacebuilding for young women will cover the following modules:
- Introduction to the UN Security Council Resolutions 1325 on Women, Peace, and Security and UN Security Council 2250 on Youth, Peace & Security Resolution; as well as subsequent WPS and YPS resolutions
- Conflict theories and analysis, including how to conduct gender-sensitive conflict analysis.
- Conflict resolution methods
- Peace processes, formal and informal tracks
- Mediation process, skills, values and phases
- Local dispute settlement
- Case studies
- Experts seminars
- Graduation Project
- 50 hours of online learning activities.
- The programme will run between April and June 2021
Delivery Language and Platform:
- Language: The programme will be delivered in Arabic. For international experts seminars, translation service into Arabic will be provided.
- Platform: Due to COVID-19 restrictions, the programme will be fully hosted online.
To be eligible for consideration, candidates must:
- Be a woman national of a member State within the UN Women Arab States area of responsibility (Algeria, Bahrain, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Oman, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates, Yemen).
- Be aged between 18 to 35.
- Have a record of leadership and accomplishment in areas related to gender equality, women’s empowerment and peace building.
- Be a member of youth-led or youth-servicing organizations or remarkable informal youth initiatives with access to youth networks.
- Have access to, and be reasonably proficient in, communication technologies.
- Women from conflict or post-conflict countries, refugee women, women with disabilities and rural women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Members of the Young Women Peacebuilders will have access to:
- Mentorship sessions from UN Women staff and external experts to build their capacity on gender equality issues, awareness of the international gender equality and peace and security frameworks.
- The opportunity to engage and be part of an extraordinary group of young leaders from all over the region to exchange knowledge and best practices and collaborate in the development of large-scale initiatives.
- Nomination to attend high-level meetings to share youth perspectives.
- Invitation to attend UN Women regional office and country offices activities and opportunities.
If you are interested to apply for the Young Women Peacebuilders programme please complete the application form available here: https://forms.gle/S6kGCH2DiTEaT4p58
31 March 2021