Global Award for Women's Empowerment
The Supreme Council for Women in Bahrain, in partnership with UN Women, launched the Global Award for Women's Empowerment on the margins of the Commission of the Status of Women.
The award, which will celebrate and recognize the achievements of champions of women's equality globally, will be awarded in 2018 and subsequently every three years.
Specifically the award aims to:
- Highlight the importance and impact of the commitment of countries, official agencies and organizations through their legislative, public and private executive authorities, civil society in addition to individuals to adopt non-discriminatory policies against women.
- Achieve justice and equal opportunities between women and men
- Show appreciation to institutional and individual efforts, initiatives and projects that target mainstreaming women’s rights.
- Encourage communities to stimulate their intellectuality and creativity in the field of women´s empowerment in order to achieve for women, their family and community, more social, economic and political security.
The award will have three categories:
- Public sector: Recognizing the achievements of a government institution for their work on women's empowerment
- Private sector: Celebrating the achievements of a firm that has truly embodied gender equality, and has introduced innovative and ground breaking measures to ensure women's engagement and leadership
- Civil society/Individual: Recognizing the work of a civil society association or an individual champion for women's empowerment. This category aims to highlight specifically those who fill the gap and provide a niche in the area where no one else is doing so
Nominations for the Award will open in Q4 2017 and remain open for one month. Applicants will be required to highlight the impact they have made, their strategic approach, the how, what and overall impact and sustainability.
Applications will be reviewed by a global panel of judges, who will assess applicants against the award criteria.
The winners will be announced in a ceremony to be determined at a later stage.
For more information, please visit www.womenglobalaward.org.