The Regional Office for the Arab States (ROAS) was established in Cairo, Egypt, in 2012. The regional office covers 17 countries in the Arab States region and provides direct support to UN Women country offices in Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, the State of Palestine, and the Morocco Multicounty Office (MCO) covering Morocco, Tunisia and Algeria. ROAS supports a programme presence in Yemen, Lebanon, Syria and Libya. In addition, UN Women operates in Bahrain and Kuwait as a non-resident agency.
ROAS supports field offices in assisting national governments to fulfill their gender equality commitments under the applicable national and international laws and frameworks, including Agenda 2030 for Sustainable Development and the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). In accordance with its Strategic Note for the period 2018 – 2021, ROAS provides normative, programmatic and coordination support to member States and other development partners in the following thematic areas:
- Expanding women’s participation and leadership in public life;
- Enhancing women’s economic empowerment;
- Ending violence against women and girls;
- Implementing the women’s peace and security agenda and humanitarian affairs;
- Strengthening the engagement of men and boys for gender equality.