Human Rights Council sessions in 2019
UN Women worked to strengthen the integration of a gender perspective in the deliberations and outcomes of the Human Rights Council in 2019.
Forty-second session, September 2019
UN Women contributed technical support for two key resolutions, namely on:
- the right to social security (A/HRC/RES/42/13), which underscores the equal right of men and women to social security and refers to the Agreed Conclusions adopted by the Commission on the Status of Women at its 63rd session; and
- the twenty-fifth anniversary of the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action (A/HRC/RES/42/14), which decided that the Council would convene a high-level debate on the occasion at its 43rd session in February 2020.
UN Women highlighted the experiences of women and girls in a wide range of issues under consideration, drawing attention to gender perspectives through 12 oral interventions.
UN Women organized a side event to present the Entity’s new flagship report “Progress of the world’s women 2019–2020: Families in a changing world”, and participated in several other events organized by Member States and stakeholders in the context of the Council’s session.
Forty-first session, June 2019
UN Women contributed technical support for four resolutions focused on the human rights of women and girls, namely on:
- violence against women and girls in the world of work (A/HRC/RES/41/17),
- elimination of all forms of discrimination against women and girls (A/HRC/RES/41/6),
- consequences of child, early and forced marriage (A/HRC/RES/41/8), and
- equal pay (A/HRC/RES/41/14).
UN Women highlighted the experiences of women and girls in a wide range of issues under consideration, drawing attention to gender perspectives through 20 oral interventions, and contributed to the Council’s panel discussions on violence against women in the world of work, and on the rights of older women and their economic empowerment.
UN Women provided substantive inputs to the report of the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights on women’s rights and climate change and participated in a panel discussion on this topic.
UN Women organized eight side events on various issues pertaining to the human rights of women and girls.
Fortieth session, March 2019
UN Women contributed technical support for one resolution focused on the human rights of women and girls, namely on:
UN Women contributed to more than 10 interactive dialogues and participated in numerous side events, including to mark International Women’s Day; to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the adoption, by the General Assembly, of the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women; and to highlight synergies between the Convention and the women and peace and security agenda.
UN Women provided substantive inputs to the report of the Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights defenders, which focused on the situation of women human rights defenders.