Media Advisory: Launch of the Princess Sabeeka Bint Ibrahim Al-Khalifa Global Award for Women’s Empowerment
UN Women kicks-off the call for applications for the second edition of the Princess Sabeeka Bint Ibrahim Al-Khalifa Global Award for Women’s Empowerment in partnership with the Supreme Council for Women of Bahrain, in an effort to recognize the work of governments, the private sector, civil society organizations and individual champions towards empowering women and girls worldwide.
Date: Wednesday, June 16, 2021
WHAT: UN Women in cooperation and partnership with the Supreme Council for Women in the Kingdom of Bahrain, is hosting a virtual event to launch the second edition of the Princess Sabeeka Bint Ibrahim Al-Khalifa Global Award for Women’s Empowerment on the sidelines of the Generation Equality Forum, co-hosted by the Governments of France and Mexico.
First launched in 2018, and bestowed every three years, the Award aims to highlight the contribution of different entities and individuals around the world towards the empowerment of women and girls. The Award recognizes achievements for women’s empowerment across four categories: Public Sector, Private Sector, Civil Society Organizations, and Individual Champions. The winner in each category will be awarded USD 100,000 to further sustain initiatives that support women.
WHEN: 1st July 2021, 11am Paris / Cairo time (12 noon Bahrain time)
WHERE: Virtually via Zoom
- HRH Princess Sabeeka Bint Ibrahim Al Khalifa, Wife of His Majesty the King of Bahrain, President of the Supreme Council for Women, Kingdom of Bahrain
- HE Ms. Anita Bhatia, Deputy Executive Director, UN Women
- HE Mrs. Hala Mohammed Jaber Al Ansari, Secretary-General of the Supreme Council for Women, Kingdom of Bahrain
- Susanne Mikhail Eldhagen, Regional Director, UN Women Regional Office for the Arab States
- Cindy Sirinya Bishop, Regional UN Women Ambassador for Asia and the Pacific
- Memory Kachambwa, Executive Director, The African Women’s Development and Communications Network (FEMNET)
- HE Dr. Abdulrahman Jawahery, CEO, Gulf Petrochemical Industries Company
Other speakers to be added, once confirmed.
Media and individuals wishing to attend the event should register by 29 June.
Join the conversation: Follow @unwomenarabic and @scwbahrain on Twitter and Instagram and share your messages using the hashtags #GlobalAward4Women and #SCW20.