Webinar: Launch of the COVID-19 Global Gender Response Tracker in the Arab States
The COVID-19 pandemic threatens to erase decades of progress for women and girls. It has exacerbated economic crises, care deficits and the ‘shadow pandemic’ of gender-based violence, with disproportionate impacts on women. Intersectionality of inequalities experienced by groups of women based on race, disability, income, age and other factors, have exacerbated the impact of the pandemic on women. In September 2020, UN Women and UNDP launched the COVID-19 Global Gender Response Tracker, which monitors policy measures enacted by national governments worldwide to tackle the COVID-19 crisis, and highlights responses that are gender-sensitive. Regularly updated with new and refined measures, the database provides information on how the world is responding the COVID-19 in a gender-sensitive manner.
On 12 April, UN Women and UNDP will co-host a webinar to launch the COVID-19 Global Gender Response Tracker in the Arab States. The webinar will introduce the Tracker, and illustrate how stakeholders including governments, CSOs, academia and others can use the data it contains to inform and advocate for gender-responsive COVID-19 responses. Drawing on the available data, the webinar will provide an overview of the situation in the region on the gender-sensitive response to the pandemic and encourage feedback and engagement by stakeholders.
Date: Monday, 12 April 2021
Time: 15:30h - 16:45h Cairo time [GMT+2] / 16:30h - 17:45h Amman time [GMT+3]
The COVID-19 Global Gender Response Tracker can be found here: https://data.undp.org/gendertracker/
To provide information on the national measures to be included in the tracker, please contact: [ Click to reveal ]
Agenda of the Webinar:
Opening remarks by Ms. Sarah Poole, Deputy Regional Director UNDP, and Ms. Janneke van der Graaff-Kukler, Deputy Regional Director UN Women
- Presentation of the Global Tracker by Ms. Raquel Lagunas, Head of Gender, UNDP and Ms. Silke Staab, Research Specialist, UN Women
- Presentation of the COVID-19 gender response analysis in the Arab States by Ms. Rania Tarazi, Gender Specialist UNDP, and Ms. Shatha Mahmoud, Economic Empowerment Specialist UN Women
- Panel discussion on Covid-19 challenges and opportunities going forward, moderated by Ms. Ghida Anani, Founder and Director of Abaad -Resource Centre for Gender Equality
With key speakers:
- Dr. Salma Nims, Secretary General, Jordanian National Commission for Women
- Mr. Ziad Abdel Samad, Executive Director, Arab NGO Network for Development
- Mr. Ihnach Houssine, Head of the Social Policies Impact Department, Ministry of Economy and Finance, Morocco